Working as a self-employed person

Especially for students, there is the student self-employed status. This brings social and tax advantages. For example, you pay fewer social security contributions than someone working in a main occupation. Do you want to know how much tax you have to pay in what you have net left over? Then read on.

From gross to net in 3 steps

  1. Calculate your social contribution;
  2. Determine your net professional income. Turnover - costs - social contributions;
  3. Calculate your personal income tax: multiply the tax rate (personal income tax) by your total.

A fictitious example of student independent Fleur

Fleur earns €6,000 a year (€500 a month)

  • Since she will not earn more than €25,000 per year, she has exempted herself from VAT obligations. 
  • Fleur has not incurred any expenses for her business. 
  • She has claimed exemption from social contributions because her estimated annual income is below €8,204.59.

  1. Social contributions = €0.0
  2. Net professional income: €6,000
  3. Personal income tax: €0.0
    • Fleur is below the tax-free allowance (€10,160 per year) and pays no personal income tax.

Her net professional income is €6,000

Note: Exemptions for VAT returns and social security contributions must be applied for yourself through the enterprise office where you are registered.

Find out how to apply for the exemption for: